Accessibility options | A A A | text only

Legal and Political Services


Legal Services_Jobs.jpg

Find out about jobs in...

Legal Services

The Political Sector

Legal services...

Legal Jobs include:

Bailiffs enforce court orders and collect money and assets to cover debt owed by individuals or businesses. There are court bailiffs who enforce court orders and private and certificated bailiffs, who work for civil enforcement agencies, who work on behalf of clients, including local authorities, government departments and private landlords.

Barristers give specialist legal advice and represent individuals or organisations in court. They usually specialise in an area of law and give written legal opinions and researching similar cases as well as representing clients in court.

Court administrative officers make sure that the business of a court or tribunal runs well, handling the paperwork, computer records and day-to-day arrangements, so that cases are dealt with on time.

Legal executives specialise in one particular area of the law such as conveyancing, family law, personal injury, or probate, doing work similar to that of solicitors.

Paralegals do a substantial amount of legal work as part of their job and may have some legal training or experience, but are not qualified lawyers.  They work in law firms, as well as in-house in a wide variety of other private and public sector organisations, and often have very different job titles such as contracts assistant, case worker or property adviser. They specialise in a particular area of law, such as property, family, contracts, criminal, Legal Aid or immigration.

Solicitors give legal advice to individuals, businesses, voluntary bodies, charities and government departments. They interpret and explain the law to clients, give advice and support and represent clients in court. Solicitors often specialize in areas of law such as employment law, conveyancing, litigation, family law and wills and probate.


The Political Sector...

Members of Parliament (MPs) are supported by researchers, political advisers, party workers and lobbyists. Politicians are also elected to serve in the European Parliament or as councillors in local government.

Political researchers research political topics - the subject of research depends on the role and employer. Political researchers work for political parties and politicians and also within public affairs and PR consultancies, whose clients seek to influence the political system.

Political/constituency organisers work for a political party, supporting the elected members, or candidates seeking election, in a political constituency - to help the party win elections.

Politicians can be MPs (Members of Parliament), MEPs (Members of the European Parliament) or local councillors. MPs are elected by voters in a local constituency to represent them in the House of Commons. MEPs are elected on a regional basis to serve in the European Parliament at Brussels and Strasbourg. Councillors are elected to serve on their local county, district, parish or community council. They listen to and represent their constituents. Most elected politicians are members of a political party such as Labour, the Conservatives or Liberal Democrats, although it is possible to stand for election independently.


Want to know more?...

The information in this jobs section is a summary of what’s involved in each of the jobs and only a few jobs are highlighted to give a snapshot of this sector.

You can also use the Next Step website to find out about 100s of jobs and careers, including the ones listed above and many, many more.